Friday, January 14, 2011

Red-Breasted Nuthatch Surprise!

DSC_0060 I woke up Tuesday morning to cold temperatures, cloudy skies and calm wind. At first the feeders were void of birds, but then the usual suspects showed up. I was in the kitchen making my breakfast when suddenly this little bird appeared! I held my breath and stopped everything. Fortunately my camera was only a few steps away, but would this little nuthatch wait? Yes it did!  Yesterday I went out looking for birds but today the birds came to me.  I have not seen a red-breasted nuthatch since I moved back here from Arizona.  I have been looking for them all over New England but I had not seen any. I was beginning to wonder if I ever would, but then, bliss! This is a new yard bird for me, a new Essex County bird for me and a new Massachusetts Life Bird! In fact, the last time I saw one of these little birds was in Falmouth Maine 6-28-09. It visited my suet at least twice on this day and I was able to get a few nice photos.

DSC_0067 

DSC_0068 

DSC_0069 

DSC_0078

Between the birds I saw on Plum Island, this Red-breasted nuthatch, and the Carolina Wren that finally showed up during the blizzard on Wednesday, these are the birds species I have added to my Big January count bringing my total up to 43 species of birds.

  • Northern Harrier-Plum Island, 1-10-11
  • Bufflehead
  • Long-tailed duck*
  • Red-breasted merganser*
  • Horned grebe*
  • Common raven
  • Red-breasted Nuthatch*-Andover Yard, 1-11-11
  • Carolina Wren-Andover Yard, 1-12-11 

    Note: Bold lettering denotes start of new location. All species following bold entry were seen at that location.

    * indicates Massachusetts Life Bird for me. DSC_0079

  • 15 comments:

    1. Lovely images of this nice little surprise Kathie.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great visitor and lovely photos

      dan

      ReplyDelete
    3. Lovely little bird. On occasion they will eat out of our hands too. You are doing well with an interesting diversity of birds for your count.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Roy and Dan, thanks! I was so thrilled to see it!

      Ruth, I am trying! I keep getting little birdy surprises, like when Great blue heron flew over the yard today!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Great pictures of this pretty little bird. How lucky you were! I am looking forward to perusing your archived posts when all is quiet, for I spend a lot of time in your area! Thanks for stopping by my blog this afternoon.~karen

      ReplyDelete
    6. Congrats, I am glad this cutie came to visit you! Great photos, Kathie!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Wow, great shots of a beautiful little bird. Nice job, Kathie!

      ReplyDelete
    8. What a wonderful surprise! Happy Birding Kathie!

      ReplyDelete
    9. A lovely surprise. Beautiful photos you got there. Thanks for visiting.

      ReplyDelete
    10. KaHolly, thank you! So glad you stopped by, and, you are welcome! I am just starting to get up to speed on my blog posts as it has taken awhile to get settled in and I am still finding new birding spots!

      Eileen, I am so glad it stopped by also. I saw it several times that day but I have not seen it since!

      Kyle, well, thank you! And, that is one large cowboy hat you've got on there! Wow! It must do a great job of keeping off the rain and the sun!

      A joyful chaos, love your name! I feel like that many times myself. Thanks for visiting!

      DAwn thank you dearest! Wish you were here to bird with me (or I was there to bird with you!).

      Kristin, you are welcome! Thanks for stopping by my poetry blog also.

      ReplyDelete
    11. What a little cracker Kathie!!
      and great shots as well!!

      ReplyDelete
    12. You were able to capture its beautiful colour wonderfully! This is a favourite little species of mine!
      Ann

      ReplyDelete
    13. May he live well and long. Great portraits!

      ReplyDelete

    Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.