Monday, April 18, 2011

Patriots’ Day (MWT)

1. Bald Eagle-kab Bald Eagle over the Kennebec River in Norridgewock, ME 4-10-11

Our National Bird

Today is Patriot’s Day here in Massachusetts. It is a state holiday commemorating the Battles of Lexington and Concord and the start of the Revolutionary War. Today there will be re-enactments of those battles as well as Paul Revere’s Ride.

2. Flag-kab American Flag at Race For Our Troops in Andover, MA 4-3-11

It is also Marathon Monday here in Massachusetts, and, as part of the celebration, the Boston Marathon is taking place. I do no have photos of the Boston Marathon, but I do want to share photos from a race that took place right here in Andover earlier this month. It was called Race for the Troops and all of the fees went to an organization that builds homes for severely disabled veterans. As many of you know, I have a son who is currently fighting in Afghanistan. Thankfully, he has not been wounded.

3. MG n B2_kab MG and B2 4-3-11

However, my sister and her husband are runners and when they saw this race was taking place right here in the town I live in they decided to participate in honor of my son and their nephew, Alexander and all of the troops who are fighting for our safety and freedom.

4. Start_kab Starting Line 4-3-11

 

5. Troops-kab Runners from National Guard?

The National Guard was there and I can only assume these runners were with that organization. Can you imagine running with these packs on? well, our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq do it all the time and often under fire. It is so easy to forget this as we sit safely in our homes watching television or even when we are out hiking and bird watching. I can do these things because our military is fighting to keep us safe and free.

6. faster-kab Must go faster! 4-3-11

There were plenty of walkers as well, but no one was going fast enough for this little puppy! I love his enthusiasm!

7. first-kab First place runner 4-3-11

8. hell-kab That fighting spirit 4-3-11

9. running-kab B2 races to the finish line 4-3-11

10. Remeber-kab Please Remember our vets and soldiers and the cost to all of us for this war. It is paid with more than dollars. It is paid for in lives, limbs, and blood. It is paid for with tears. I am proud of my son and all of the military families who pay the ultimate price for our freedom. And I am thankful to be free on this Patriots’ Day!

My World Tuesday!

Links to more info on Patriots Day and the Andover Race for our Troops:

2 comments:

  1. Great post and tribute to our soldiers and your son. May they all continue to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute! Love the eagle!! oh, the lil pup in the race too is precious (looks like a little pit) -xo

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.