Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Birds Are Everywhere WBW

1. blue jay-kab Eastern Blue Jay 4-10-12

Yesterday I had errands to do in Salem, New Hampshire, so of course I brought my camera and binoculars. You might think I saw this blue jay out in the woods or even at the Geremonty Marsh where I often go to do some birding but no,

2. parking lot-kab He was sitting right in a tree at the edge of the parking lot where I went to buy cat food!

3. gray squirrel-kab I drove over to the edge of the parking lot and parked my car. I rolled down my window and waited. A gray squirrel watched me from one of the trees.

4. feed on ground-kab Last time I was here I discovered someone spreads birdseed on this rock.

5. squirrel-kab I used my car as a blind and sat there with the window down, bins and camera at the ready. Soon the squirrel relaxed enough to come down from its tree and feed. With the squirrel relaxed the birds soon started coming in to feed also.

6. redwinged blackbird-kab A red-winged blackbird.

7. NOCA-kab I could hear and see a male Cardinal through the trees.

8. WTSP-kab A white-throated sparrow popped up on a branch.

9. SOSP-kab A song sparrow stayed low and came in cautiously.

10. DEJU-kab A shy dark-eyed junco appeared.

11. cardinal-kab Finally the cardinal came near.

12. parking lot salem, NH-kab So next time you stop off to buy a new pair of sneakers…

13. hidden-kab …you might want to check and see who is hiding in the trees!

Because Birds Are Everywhere!

World Bird Wednesday!

Here is a complete list of all the birds I saw at this parking lot in Salem, New Hampshire on April 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM:

  1. Red-tailed Hawk
  2. Blue Jay
  3. American Crow
  4. Black-capped Chickadee
  5. Tufted Titmouse
  6. White-breasted Nuthatch
  7. American Robin
  8. European Starling
  9. White-throated Sparrow
  10. Song Sparrow
  11. Dark-eyed Junco
  12. Northern Cardinal
  13. Red-winged Blackbird
  14. Common Grackle
  15. House Sparrow

15 comments:

  1. That is an impressive list of birds you sighted in a parking lot!
    Nice photos and post Kathie.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, thank you. It always makes doing errands more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you find birds everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Kathie! I'm a big proponent of urban birding, and continue to be amazed by what turns up even in the most industrial areas.

    You've got a great sequence of photos here, and picked up a really nice diversity of species. I've still got to see a White-Throated. It's fun to think of them just hanging around Pets Smarts over your way (as there are White-Crowneds around the Walmarts down here).

    MOst excellent, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurence, finding birds in common places is so amazing to me! I am glad that you like it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great urban birding. I got the images for both my bird posts this week behind a shopping center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent pictures, what a great variety. Who would have thought that you would see all these at the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathie!
    What a joy for me to see these familiar birds which I miss so much.I did see a cardinal here last week on our tree.I have NOT had the best time here in Arizona this year..lots of illness due to poor air quality.nice for me to feel well enough to visit some friends! Have a good week birding!
    hugs Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathie, great series of bird photos. They are everywhere, just waiting to be noticed. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos of these beautiful birds! Such a great birdingday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always good to see the birds and animals managing to live all around us even when we don't give them a lot of space. Love that first squirrel photo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely captures of these birds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am still waiting for the White-throated Sparrows to come here. This strange spring has me wondering if they will come early.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha ha..leave it to you to find all those birds while out looking for shoes! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.