Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Molting Gold

1. AMGO at feeder-kab American Goldfinch (male) at my window feeder this morning.

This scraggly looking male goldfinch showed up at my feeder this morning in his partially molted winter coat. He looks a bit patchy for now but soon will sport his fine gold coat and black beret for the summer. Hopefully the females will all be impressed with his finery. I know I am!

It was a sunny and mild day today but a chill north-west wind was gusting off and on all day which meant I still wore a long-sleeved shirt, my vest and my gloves when walking down to the bog to count birds. I took these photos before I left for the bog. I’ll post that story tomorrow. For now, I hope you enjoy my birds!

2. reaching-kab The goldfinch is not reaching for the peanuts…

3. feeding-kab …but rather the hull-less sunflower seeds beneath them.

 

4. WBNU-kab It’s the White-breasted Nuthatch who wants the peanuts!

With the arrival of spring the number of species in my yard has increased quite a bit. The winter migrants have yet to leave for their northern breeding grounds but a few of the summer species have arrived, like grackles and blackbirds. These are the species I saw in my yard today:5. female goldfinch-kab 

  1. Mourning dove
  2. Red-bellied woodpecker
  3. Downy woodpecker
  4. Hairy woodpecker
  5. Black-capped chickadee
  6. Tufted titmouse
  7. White-breasted Nuthatch
  8. American Robin
  9. Dark-eyed junco
  10. Northern Cardinal
  11. Red-winged Blackbirds
  12. Common grackles
  13. House Finches
  14. American goldfinches
  15. House Sparrows

6. AMGO-kab American Goldfinch 4-3-2012 Andover, MA

World Bird Wednesday 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Kathie. I've recently posted am image of our (European) Goldfinch so you can compare the two at long last. In any event I still think your version was more aptly named.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goldfinches are not quite that far along in their molting, but have definitely begun to "brighten" up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Goldfinch is a beauty even though not in full summer dress yet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Frank, I'll come take a look!

    Kathryn, they always remind me of flying daffodils!

    KaHolly, he sure is!

    Gillian, I just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos of this great coloured bird!
    Happy WBW to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a colourful bid Kathie. Striking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh.My.Gosh. I need one of those feeders. :) That is really getting up close with the birds.
    Your photos are lovely captures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a dollop of butter on your peanut feeder! Oh, it's American Goldfinch. Charming bird Kathie, and great photos too. They really capture the bird's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, love the bright yellow! Great photos, Kathie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That goldfinch is brilliant. Should have no problem attracting a mate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful goldfinch, it is wonderful to see their summer colors. Great photos, Kathie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen ours lately so I don't know if they're changing, but I doubt it. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Goldfinch---our State bird. We have our finch feeders out . MB

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, I'm seeing the same changes Kathie. Great catches!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just brilliant colour captured and they are such sweet birds to have around. Happy Easter season~

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.