Saturday, November 23, 2013

JFK, The Day After- a guest post by Gus

Sanderling on the Cape Cod National Seashore created by JFK on August 7, 1961
In NYC on 9/11, the bombing of the Twin Towers, is one of those days all of us remember where we were when we heard about it.  For me Nov 23, 1963, the day after JFK’s assassination, was one of those days I’ll remember forever.

The day Kennedy was shot I was 2 weeks away from my 11th birthday.  I remember the teacher coming into the class. She was very upset and told us the school was closing and we all could go home.  I really don’t recall if she told us why or not but it was a very chaotic scene.  The rumors were running rampant as buses were picking up classmates and I began walking home with other students.

When I got home my mom was watching our little black and white TV.  She began to explain to me what had just happened.  But the thing that stuck in my mind was my mom had tears in her eyes and I don’t remember ever seeing her cry.   Even when her twin sister died of cancer she hid her emotions from me.

But it wasn't until the following day I realized the full impact of the day before.  My dad was in the Navy and just the two of us were heading to the Submarine base.  I don’t recall why we going to the base that day but it was a very somber ride with my dad.  For as long as I could remember every time we passed through the gate at the front of the base there were two Marines checking badges of the occupants of each vehicle heading into and out of the base.  During the early 60's the Marines were always in dress uniform while on gate duty. To me, at age 11, the Marines were like gods!  In their dress uniforms and wearing white gloves they were the epitome of strength, grace, goodness and protection.   If you happened to be going through the gate at sunrise or sunset when the Flag was being raised or lowered the Marines, just by raising their hand, had the power to make all traffic entering or leaving the base came to a complete halt.

But that day, November 23rd, the day after JFK died what I witnessed changed me forever.  As we approached the gate the first thing I noticed was the Flag at half-mast.  As my dad and I slowed to enter the base the Marine on duty lowered his and looked inside to verify my dad’s Navy badge as I’d seen them do hundreds of times before.  But this time, as I glanced over I saw this young Marine staring in at us and something very disturbing was going on.  I didn't believe was it was possible.   He had tears streaming down his face.  His eyes were all red and I could clearly see the pain in his face.  He didn't say anything yet his face expressed the look of wounded soldier.  He just waved us through like any other day.  In that moment my world lost all tranquility and innocence. 

As I was telling this story to my 35 year old son a couple of days ago I was overcome with a flood of emotion of what happened on that day fifty years ago, November 23rd 1963.

Gus (my husband)

Cape Cod National Seashore

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this account Kathie. It was privilege to read it.
    From what I know of history its my believe that JFK was one of perhaps four US Presidents that did the most for the US and for the World in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Kathie! I remember being sent home from school early too. It was a sad time for the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Kathie Thanks for sharing your story with us. Yes, the world changed that day forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great remembrance Gus. I too remember being sent home from school and not really understanding until I saw how sad and broken the adults around me were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your story Gus. Those experiences change all of us forever. For me, it was the Challenger explosion in 8th grade and then later as a teacher, telling students about the bombing of the Twin Towers. None of it easy. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Gus.
    Unlike most of my peers, I was home sick. My Mom had gone out briefly. I was on the couch watching something on TV when the program was interrupted by the terrible news. They showed the footage of Kennedy being shot. I was shocked and crying when Mom came home and shut off the TV. A very distressing and sober time followed in our country.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.