Sunday, February 22, 2015

Red-bellied Woodpecker

1. red-bellied woodpecker-kab Red-bellied Woodpecker (female) in my yard 12-3-2014

It’s my birthday today, so I am posting photos of one of my favorite birds. I love all woodpeckers and was so happy to finally have a Red-bellied Woodpecker show up in my yard this winter. I had one last spring, but it was just passing through. This one has stayed around but she is quite elusive and I only catch brief glimpses of her. I have discovered she loves peanuts, though. But so do the Blue Jays and when they discover I have put them out they swoop down and gobble them all up! Still, sometimes she is able to sneak in and grab one before she has to flee!

2a. acrobat-kab This female Red-bellied Woodpecker has been hanging around all winter.

She is quite the acrobat! Just look at her twist and fly!

You can tell the female from the male by the limited amount of red on the head.

A male Red-bellied woodpecker has a full red head from its nape to its beak.

3. at simpsons point-kab Red-bellied Woodpecker at Simpson’s Point 12-2-14

I also found one over at Simpson’s Point, just a few miles east of Mere Point.

4. red-bellied woodpecker in maine-kab Female Red-bellied Woodpecker 12-2-14

I photographed these birds last year in December. I hope that maybe this year I can get an even better picture of them, but until then, I will just keep enjoying them whenever I see them. They are such characters! However, so far I have only seen females. If there is going to be a new generation, sooner or later a male will have to show up! Maybe then I can get his picture too!

17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Kathie. I love seeing any sort of Woodpecker as we don't have them in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy wanderer, that is amazing! I can't imagine a place without woodpeckers! Thank you for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Kathie! Great shots and post on the Redbellied Woodie. Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen! I did have a happy day of birding and other adventures!

      Delete
  3. Such a joy to watch any woodie and you got some lovely pics of your Red-bellied visitor.

    Happy Birthday Kathie ... have a grand day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a marvelous birthday present for this birding gal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a Happy Birthday!! nice shots of the woodie too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this colorful little bird! What an exciting visitor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, she sure is and she is still hanging around!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Kathie

    That is a lovely shot of the woodpecker at you feeder.

    Enjoy your day
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy, I have had a hard time getting a photo of her because she is so wary, but one day I just got lucky!

      Delete
  8. We have quite a crew of these woodpeckers on our country property. They are always fun to watch. So happy your female has decided to stick around for your viewing pleasure. I hope a male suitor arrives soon! I hope your birthday was special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a birthday gift! She's really very sweet looking. It's nice you were able to entice her with peanuts. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know Katie I am a bit late wishing you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY but better late than never and what beautiful bird you have to share with us today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.