Monday, October 19, 2015

I Discover Thorne Head Preserve in Bath, Maine

DSC_0228 I had heard about Thorne Head Preserve from eBird. I knew it was an eBird Hotspot, but I was having trouble finding how to access it. I thought I would have to hike 2 miles through tick and mosquito infested woods to even get there, but then one day in June I drove to Bath to count birds. I stopped at a little cafe to eat breakfast and when the waitress saw me with my binoculars we struck up a conversation. She told me about Thorne Head and how to get there. With my coffee to go in hand, I headed out. I found my way to High Street and travelled north past the turn off to the dump to where the road turns to dirt. This is what confused me before, but if you follow the dirt road it opens to a public parking lot and the trail is right there in front of you! after parking the car and donning binoculars, hat, and camera, I headed out!

DSC_0230 This wide and shady path greeted me.

I could hear birds all along the way and I spotted several warblers here.

DSC_0231 At the end of the trail is a wide spot with a bench and a view.

 

DSC_0232 This is what I could see beyond the trees—the Kennebec River!

 

DSC_0234 A closer view of a cottage across the river.

It did not take me long to get to this point and I soon headed back down. On the way I took a little detour trail around the backside of the pond where I found a mother mallard and her duckling slipping quietly through the marsh.

DSC_0236 

DSC_0243 

I liked this place so much that two days later when my daughter came to visit me I took her hiking here. This time when we got to the top of the trail I really struck gold when I found a Male Scarlett Tanager. Note: I always want to say and spell it T-A-N-A-N-G-E-R, which is wrong. There is no second “N.” I don’t know why I do this.

DSC_0245 Male Scarlett Tanager 6-19-15

Isn’t he a beaut! These are my best photos ever of a Scarlett Tanager I think!

DSC_0246 I have not been back to Thorne Head since that time, but I think I will go again before the snows flies if I am able. In my two visits there I counted a total of 27 species of birds. A word of caution to birders: I just discovered they allow hunting on this property so take proper precautions in season. However, as I understand it, Maine does not allow hunting on Sundays.

Click on the links below for more information.

Links:

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kathie, looks like a great new place to bird. I lvoe the scarlet tanager shots. Happy Birding, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.