Thursday, May 12, 2016

Where Has This Little Bird Been?

Hello from my new home in Jefferson, Maine!

No, I do not have any photos to show you yet because I need a new computer! I am posting this from my very small laptop and if I can figure out how to process and post photos on this I will soon have photos for you. I have been taking plenty!

So much has happened in the past three months. I had to have surgery again which a 6 week recovery period, and before that ended, we had to move! Thankfully my kids were around to help and we moved into an old farm house at the North end of Damariscotta Lake. A wide and lazy stream rolls past the house and we are surrounded by water on three sides! This makes for very good birding habitat and in a little over a month I am already up to 62 species in this new yard! More about that later, but here is a list of all my yards and their species totals from when I lived there:
  1. Livermore Falls, Maine--43 species (October 2002-March 2004)
  2. Sycamore Canyon, Corona de Tucson, AZ--83 Species (April 2007-August 2010)
  3. Andover, MA Yard--65 Species (October 2010-August 2012)
  4. Tucson Yard--69 Species (August 30, 2012-January 31, 2014)
  5. Mere Point Yard, Brunswick, ME--117 Species (February 2014-August 2015)
  6. Harpswell Yard--90 Species (August 2015-May 2016)
  7. Jefferson Yard--62 Species (March 12*-May 12, 2016)
*Note: I started counting birds here from the first day we looked at this house. We did not move in until the middle of April.)

This new yard is so amazing. I have already seen beaver, muskrats, gray squirrels, red squirrels, and chipmunks here. I have had loon came paddling up the stream past my house, and one night while Gus and I were on the back deck we saw tow Great Horned Owls fly into some tall pines at the edge of our yard near the stream. It is so hard for me to get anything done with all these birds and all this wildlife around. I have two families of geese that visit the yard on occasion, and this morning a momma mallard and her newly hatch brood of 8 ducklings. There are turtles in the stream as well as many frogs. At night we are serenaded to sleep by their loud chorus! I can see water from every window in this house and I love waking up and opening the curtains to see the new day. I feel so at peace here. I feel so at home. I am happy once again.




13 comments:

  1. Hello Kathie, your new place sounds awesome. I would have trouble getting things done due to the birds. Seeing both the loons and owls, I would be happy. Enjoy your new place. I hope you have recovered from your surgery. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, you would love this place. Thank you for your kind thoughts. I hope you had a good weekend as well!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathie, nice to see you blogging again. What a wonderful place you have found. I know you will have many happy and relaxing hours birding there, and listening to so much nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, the nature sounds are amazing and I only get a little frustrated when the traffic gets busy or a truck with a loud muffler rolls by as we are on a main road. It is mostly quiet at night, though, which is nice and i often fall asleep listening to the calls of the loons.

      Delete
  3. I wondered where you wee, now i understand amd you certainly have landed on your feet in your new place. Such a lot going on there well, I am not surporsed that you aare not getting much work done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Margaret. You are always so good to come back and visit me!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful place to live. I have seen photos of it on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! Now if I could only get those photos from there to here!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great spot for birds! Hope everything gets back on track for you so you can get your photos up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, me too! everything has changed so much since I first started blogging. I think I may need to take a class just to get caught up on how everything works now!

      Delete
  6. Hi Kathie

    I am happy to hear that you are content and happy in your new place. It sounds like a wonderful spot for birds.

    All the best
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you much happiness in your new home Kathie. It sounds a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to those pictures..:)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.