Sunday, October 16, 2011

Autumn at the Bog 2011

1. Common yellow-throat-kab Common Yellowthroat at the bog 10-11-11

The return of autumn and a change in temperature has brought the birds out in droves at the bog. I went down one day last week and there were so many birds flitting around that I could not count or identify them all. I was having a bird bonanza and wishing I had a scope and some friends to help me count the birds.

2. autumn bog-kab Autumn at the bog October, 11, 2011

Brilliant color now contrast with the green of cattails and evergreens. Yhe oaks have yet to turn, but the maples and aspens are putting on quite a display.

3. fungus rose-kab Fungus Rose “Chicken of the Woods”

On my way to the bog I have been watching this enormous fungus rose grow at the base of an oak tree. Dawn Fine identified it for me as “Chicken of the woods,” a mushroom that grows on oak trees either on the trunk or at their roots indicating that the tree has heart rot. This particular “rose” is bigger than a soccer ball!

4. south end bog-kab South end of bog 10-11-11

 

5.silver swamp-kab Silver Swamp Water 10-11-11

 

6.geese-kab  Canada Geese in Swamp 10-11-11

The Canada geese have returned with the autumn. I hear their wild honking as they fly over my yard. Hearing them also makes me feel restless, as if I, too, should be migrating.

There are so many birds at the bog!

7. swamp sparrow-kab  Swamp Sparrow at bog 10-11-11

 

8.COYE-kab Common Yellowthroat 10-11-11

 

9. Downy-kab Downy woodpecker

 

10. crow-kab  American Crow

 

11. SOSP-kab  Song Sparrow

 

12. RTHA-kabRed-tailed Hawk

 

13. YRWA-kab  Yellow-rumped warbler

Complete list of birds seen at bog on 10-11-11:

  1. Canada Goose
  2. Wood Duck
  3. Mallard
  4. Red-tailed Hawk
  5. Mourning Dove
  6. Belted Kingfisher
  7. Downy Woodpecker
  8. Eastern Phoebe
  9. Blue Jay
  10. American Crow
  11. Black-capped chickadee
  12. American Robin
  13. Gray Catbird
  14. Common Yellow-throat
  15. Yellow-rumped Warbler
  16. Chipping sparrow
  17. Song Sparrow
  18. Swamp Sparrow
  19. White-throated Sparrow
  20. Northern Cardinal
  21. Red-winged Blackbird
  22. Rusty Blackbird
  23. Common Grackle

14. autumn blaze-kab This is my autumn World!

 

Our World

Click on the button to go on a virtual tour of Our world!

Click on the link to read more information about “Chicken of the Woods”.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Katie...so cute the Yellowthroat and the Yellow-rumped!

    Lovely set of fall colors ..very nice!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. grammie, thanks! I love seeing all these birds and the fall colors are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fall colors Kathie. What sweet photos of the Common Yellowthroat. They are usually so busy & flitty & hard to photograph. "Chicken of the Woods"- WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bog's fall pallet is brilliant. And so are your bird photos. Surprised there are aspen.

    I'd be trimming on that yummy Chicken of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gramie G., that first photo really grabbed me. It's perfect!! What a fun day at the bog. Thanks for sharing all the beauty that surrounded you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...your Yellow-rumped Warbler and your Common Yellowthroat photos are spectacular! I love that Common Yellowthroat! Your fall color is spectacular too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, Kathie! Did Dawn harvest the chicken of the woods? Miss you-

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Common Yellowthroat and the Yellow-rumped Warbler, both excellent images Kathie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful bird photos! I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photography in this post Kathie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kathie

    You captured some really lovely fall colour and the photo of the Common Yellowthroat is magnificent.

    Regards
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kathie, gorgeous photos showing the beautiful fall colors. The birds are wonderful too. The first shot of the Common Yellowthroat is wonderful. Happy birding and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Kathie, What a cracking post!! I loved it. packed full of great photos. That Common Yellowthroat WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your closeups of the birds!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.