Saturday, September 15, 2012

Back Here in Tucson-A Cooper’s Hawk!

1. Coopers Hawk-kab Cooper’s Hawk in my yard September 14, 2012

Yesterday morning it was so nice here that I threw the windows open wide while I made my breakfast downstairs. As I was standing at the kitchen counter I suddenly heard the loud explosion of bird wings. I knew immediately what it was and rushed to the window with my binoculars in hand. Sure enough, there on the block wall perched a juvenile cooper’s hawk. I could tell it was a juvenile by the dark vertical streaks on its breast instead of the typical adult horizontal rusty barring.

2. cooper's hawk-kab With a thumping heart I raced upstairs and grabbed my camera. I quietly opened the door onto the balcony and crept toward to railing, snapping photos as I went. surprisingly, the bird did not immediately bolt. Instead, it stayed where it was, looking below to where it had seen so many doves a few moments again. It looked completely baffled as to where they had gone. The result was that I was able to snap off a few decent shots before it took wing again and was gone.

3. Coop on the wall-kab 

4. COHA-kab 

5. Cooper's-kab Thanks for the visit young Cooper’s. I’m kind of glad you didn’t eat any of my doves, but could you please gobble up a few pigeons? Thanks!

6. Pigeons-kabThis is why I cannot put a bird feeder out!

The unpacking progresses and I’ve almost got order restored to the house. In-between I have been able to have a bit of fun. I went birding last Sunday with Chris of Las Adventuras. Yesterday my son and I went for a short hike in Saguaro national Park,and in the afternoon I went and had tea with my friend Celeste. I have more birding adventures already planned for this weekend and during the next week. meanwhile I am trying to get caught up on all my blogging. Look for a blog post a day if I can pull it off! I certainly have the photos and stories to go with it! I will get back to our cross-country travels soon and then the new life and day to day adventures begin! Thank you all who visit my blog and read my posts. I really do appreciate it. For my family and friends, I miss you so. For all my new friends, I can’t wait to meet you!

By the way, this Cooper’s Hawk is species number 21 for my backyard. The day before I was totally surprised to find a Green-tailed Towhee in my backyard underneath the oleander bushes but when I slid the door open to snap a picture it flew off! I have also seen a Say’s Phoebe on two occasions now!

24 comments:

  1. That was a fortuitous sighting. Don't suppose you can shoot those pigeons with a bb gun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in city limits and not without getting arrested!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful bird in the morning light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jeremy....beautiful Cooper and great lighting. Too bad he did not go after the pigeons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, those pics were not taken on the same day but the pigs are always around so I do wish s/he would hunt them instead!

      Delete
  4. What fun to establish a new yard list!! And in a 'new' place. The shots of the Coopers are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KaHolly, I have kept a yard list ever since I started eBirding and even before. This is now my 3rd eBird Yard list! Oh, and I have one retroactive one for when I lived in Maine!

      Delete
  5. Great shots! Love these birds. Very very intelligent hawks:) I'm so looking forward to our birding adventure tomorrow....and the weather is going to be divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roherebot, they are fun and exciting to observe! and we had fun, didn't we!

      Delete
  6. We were up in Idyllwild (at 5,000 feet) last weekend. I was taking photos of the family of quail nearby when I heard a squawk and a Cooper's hawk got a blue jay. It was so sudden that I didn't even have time to get a photo! I did see the bird in its talons as it flew away...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!! what gorgeous shots of the Cooper's hawk!! wow!! i love the detail...the fine feathers sticking out...the third shot down is amazing...with the sun & shadows!! and that last picture in the one legged stance!! beautiful!!

    ALL those pigeons!! ha! what a sight!! you might have a little roof clean-up after a while!

    happy sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thanks! As for the roof clean-up, that was not my rooftop and I will let nature take care of that! They usually don't hang around for too long.

      Delete
  8. Hi Kathie

    Great post I loved the photos of the hawk and I am glad you have kept in touch with all of us thru your blog.

    Regards
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy, it sure makes it easier to keep everyone up to date this way! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Your new place has been Cooper christened!

    Bummer about all those Pigeons though. Maybe you need a few more Hawks or Falcons around there. Chris mentioned he had been recently birding with another birder friend. I'm looking forward to hearing about that! Trying to figure a time to get down to SE AZ to myself. Hope your week is a great success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurence, Chris and I have been out twice now. We would love to have another birder! let me know when you are in town!

      Delete
  10. welcome back to Tucson Kathie. really looking forward to catching up with your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TonyC, nice to have you back! Thank you for the warm welcome!

      Delete
  11. How amazing and wonderful that you were able to get so many great shots of him! As you know, we've had Cooper's Hawk visitors to our yard, but I have trouble capturing them on film. We also have had Grey Hawks here in the yard, as well. I'm pretty sure I told you about both some months ago. Recently a smaller hawk, probably a kestrel, paid a visit. Love your shots! Hope you are getting settled in in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, you certainly live in a hawk filled neighborhood! I have seen kestrels around here as well, so I would not be surprised to hear that you are seeing them!

      Delete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.