Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Feeder Birds: Tufted Titmouse

1. titmouse 10-29-10 Tufted Titmouse 10-29-10 Andover Yard

Tufted Titmice are some of the sweetest yet most nervous little birds that I have ever encountered.  I love their sweet faces and their busy-i-ness but it makes them a bit difficult to photograph as they hardly ever stay still! However, this wariness is what helps the little birds survive. A bird that never sits still is a bit harder for predators to catch! Tufted Titmouse is one of the first species I ever recorded in my bird book so it it one of the first species on my Life List. Having lived in Arizona for the past 3 1/2 years I had not seen many Tufted Titmice but I did fall in love with the Bridled variety which I would see in Madera Canyon and other mountainous areas.  I have yet to add Juniper, Black-crested and Oak Titmice to my life list but for now I will enjoy these busy little birds here in my Andover Yard.

2. titmouse 11-16-10 Tufted Titmouse 11-16-10

Species # 7 Tufted Titmouse
ABA Code TUTI
Family Paridae
Location Andover, MA (yard )
First sighting at this location 10-11-10
Kathiesbirds Life Bird #8 Date: 2-5-78
First Sighting Location Jewett City, CT

3. titmouse 11-16-17 Tufted Titmouse 11-16-10

First Sightings in Other States Date Seen
Florida 1-27-2003
Maine 3-13-2003
Ohio 4-26-2009
West Virginia 4-26-2009
New York 6-21-2009
Kentucky 3-15-2010
Alabama 3-16-2010
Massachusetts 9-16-2010
New Hampshire ? (Still waiting)

 

4. titmouse 10-29-10 Tufted Titmouse 10-29-10

5. Titmouse 11-16-10 Tufted Titmouse 11-16-10

6. titmouse_0035 Tufted Titmouse 11-16-10

Tiny gray shadow

Grab a seed fly, flit, flit flit,

Your way to survive

~kathiesbirds (November 16, 2010)

7. good-bye Good-bye!

8 comments:

  1. A lovely bird Kathie and some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bird and your pictures are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice series and a favorite at my feeders as well

    dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shots are fantastic! I especially like the titmouse with the seed in its mouth.

    We saw only two tufteds late last winter in AZ.

    Mike has set up feeders outside the desk/computer window and is fun to watch the quail, jays, finches, cardinals..... Unfortunately, the thermopane window is dirty inside so not great for photos.

    Sounds like you are really settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help myself, I keep going to your old blog looking for you. Titmice are adorable... I usually get a little bored with them, as they visit our feeders the most- but your pictures remind me how cute they are.

    hugs,
    L

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are super photos Kathie. I have never gotten a good photograph of one, for the simple reason that they flit all over the place. I understand it's necessary for their survival of course, but just for once I would love to get a decent photo. In the meantime I shall enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent photos! Funny how they're so much more weary than their cousins the chickadees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cutest bird ever! They are supposedly ranging northward a little more each year. Maybe I will eventually see one at my feeders.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.