Thursday, October 16, 2014

Androscoggin Riverwalk

1. androscoggin river-kab At the bend in the river 9-23-14

The leaves had barely started to turn when I took a walk along the Androscoggin River in Brunswick, Maine on September 23rd. While I had done the Riverwalk twice before, I had always started from the southern end of the trail off Water Street. This time I drove to the northern trailhead on Grove Street and headed south. This part of the trail lies closer to busy Route 1, so I did not see as many birds, but I di see a few. I found the traffic a bit annoying, until I found a little side trail that took me down a step embankment and onto the shore of the Androscoggin River right where it turns Northwest to flow into Merrymeeting Bay! I keep hoping to find lots of migrating ducks here, but so far I have found none. All was quiet as I sat and watched the clear, cold water flow by. With the steep embankment and all the trees, it blocked the noise of the highway and I found this a tranquil place to sit and think. Eventually I was joined by a single migrating Eastern Phoebe and that was just fine with me!

2. path to river-kab The trail leading in.

 

3. reflections-kab Riverbank Reflections

 

4. bend in the river-kab A tranquil place to sit.

5. phoebe-kab Eastern Phoebe in the woods.

 

6. walking back-kab Walking out to main trail.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely place to explore. I am sometimes surprised how some areas seem like they would be ideal for birds, but none are to be found. At least you were visited by a sweet phoebe friend. Beautiful photographs, Kathie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, that always surprises me as well, but it was a peaceful and scenic place to sit, anyways. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. A tinge of Autumn colours Kathie, lovely time for scene photography.
    The Phoebe looks quite similar to the Pied Flycatcher (Female) we get in the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Roy! That tinge of autumn color will soon be gone as we are having a three day rainstorm which will tear most of the remaining leaves from the trees! It doesn't take long for it all to be over with, and soon the snow will be upon us!

      I should like to see your Pied Flycatcher someday!

      Delete
  3. Sweet Phoebe! What a pretty place for a walk and birding. Great shots, Kathie.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, it is a pretty place to walk, especially if you keep your back to the highway! I hope you had a great weekend as well!

      Delete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.