Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Finally Some Rain

1. Goose_0132 Canada Goose flying up from bog 4-23-12

After four days of grandkids and a rainy Monday morning it looked like the skies were clearing so I grabbed my camera and binoculars and took a walk down to the bog. I could hear the grackles and red-winged blackbirds before I even arrived. In the silver water and among the greening reeds the Canada Geese floated or grazed, but all the time I was there they were taking off and landing at various times.

2. silver water-kab We really needed the rain around here. Last week when I was here I noticed that the water levels in the bog were dropping. The weather forecasters have been reporting that it’s been over three months since we have had a good soaking rain like this. Now as I stand here at the bog trying to count and identify swallows the skies are looking leaden once again.

3. muskrat-kab Below me I watch as a muskrat swims into view and stops to feed at the bottom of the bank I am standing on. A little beyond the muskrat I find a pair of Green-winged teal paddling around in the water. Just as I raise my camera to try to get a shot, they duck behind some stumps and are lost to my view. These are the first teal I have seen here in over a year.

4. Goose-kab I hear a loud honking and look up to see a pair of Canada geese taking flight.

 

5. bog-kab Everything is much greener than the last time I was here and I am sure it will be greener still, now that we have gotten rain. As I stand here watching birds and wildlife a gentle rain starts to fall. I am hoping it is just a brief shower and so I tuck my camera under my shirt and tuck myself into the shelter of one of the roadside pines. When the rain stops, I step out and start watching and counting again.

6. rain clouds-kab But it isn’t long before another shower starts up and I decide it is time to head for home!

Birds species seen at the bog on April 23, 2012

  1. Canada Goose
  2. Mallard
  3. Green-winged teal
  4. Red-bellied Woodpecker
  5. Northern Flicker (yellow-shafted)
  6. Mourning dove
  7. Tree Swallow
  8. Barn Swallow
  9. Blue Jay
  10. American Crow
  11. Belted Kingfisher
  12. American Robin
  13. Eastern Bluebird
  14. European Starling
  15. Song Sparrow
  16. Red-winded blackbird
  17. Brown-headed cowbird
  18. Common Grackle

 

World Bird Wednesday 

15 comments:

  1. A lot of green in your scenes now Kathie, which is good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathie

    I just love your shots of the Canadian Geese, they really transform a fairly common bird into the beautiful thing it actually is.

    Regards
    guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathie~You slammed it with that last photo of the Canada Goose! Super!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful & green! Excellent "painting" looking photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoy your trips to the bog and glad there was some much needed rain. The muskrat sure came close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your Canadian Goose flight shots plus the one of the Muskrat.
    You had a great day of birding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful images of your beautiful wildlife... the flight shots are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow kathie!! what GORGEOUS goose shots!! so clear and crisp!! LOVE that!!

    and the muskrat!! SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos of the canadian goose flying! IAnd the muskrat is so sweet :) I thought at first it was a beaver.../Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shot of the Goose in flight and the muskrat. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great series of photos of all you saw at the bog. I especially like the Canada Goose in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant photos Kathie. I enjoyed all your photos but the ones of the Canada Goose in flight I loved them. So sharp and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful images! Those in-flight shots are really something. The muskrat photograph brought a big smile to my face. We've had very little rain here in the Midwest, too. I hope the water levels in the bog go up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah -- I love seeing green in your bog (looks like our swamps a little now)....your bird list is always so incredible. We even got a little rain and some slightly cool weather here on the West Coast of FL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The green is lovely and your Canada Geese and Muskrat shots are great.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.