Sunday, January 2, 2011

Big January Day 1

DSC_0024 Red-tailed Hawk 1-1-11

DSC_0027 American Robin 1-1-11

DSC_0035 Cooper’s Hawk 1-1-11

The first day of Jauary turned out to be a balmy day here with temperatures rising to 58 degrees F!  I took a walk in my neighborhood to see what species I could add to my list.  This is what I saw within 1 1/2 miles of my house!

Big January 2011 Bird List:

  1. Tufted Titmouse-in yard
  2. American Crow
  3. American goldfinch
  4. White-throated sparrow
  5. Dark-eyed Junco
  6. blue Jay
  7. Downy woodpecker
  8. Black-capped Chickadee
  9. White-breasted Nuthatch
  10. House Sparrow
  11. House finch
  12. Mourning dove
  13. Northern Cardinal
  14. Red-bellied woodpecker-at bog
  15. American robin
  16. song sparrow
  17. European Starling
  18. Red-tailed hawk-Stirling Loop
  19. Cooper’s Hawk

Note: Bold lettering denotes start of new location. All species following bold entry were seen at that location.

DSC_0006 Winter Robin 1-1-11

DSC_0014 Winter Bog 1-1-11

The winter bog is stark and lovely,

blue and rust, bare bones and ice,

a quiet place for life

until the raucous crows crow! ~KAB

DSC_0021

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful light on the Coopers Hawk Kathie. Happy New Year to you and Gus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great 1st day Kathie. Happy New Year.

    dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of color with the robin
    photos-and nice shot of the Cooper's Hawk-looks like it belongs in an encyclopedia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathie, you are off to a great start for a new year of birding. The hawks are cool sightings and your robin is a pretty shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celeste, thank you. I do hope it will be a good one!

    Dan, thank you. I am still working on improving that list!

    Larry, thank you! So, are you going to join in?

    Ellen, it was quite a surprise for me to see both hawks on one walk!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.