Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow Birds!

DSC_0042 Female Cardinal 1-18-11 Andover, MA

Snow.

It’s everywhere now. It is all the time. We get a break for a day, or sometimes two, and then it snows again. It is snowing again today for the 3rd time in a week. After the storm the temperature is suppose to drop below zero this weekend. If New England is trying to convince me that I should not have moved away from Arizona it is doing a good job!

DSC_0044 Blue Jay 1-18-11 Andover, MA

DSC_0055 I took these photos on Tuesday at my friend, Merry Robin’s House. She is kind enough to let me come and watch her birds and share a cup of tea with me. She is yet another friend I have made in all my travels around the USA. I collect friends.

DSC_0049 Of course, I have now started a bird list for her backyard. So far I have seen 13 species of birds there. I suspect the list will grow as the year progresses. Watching birds makes being trapped indoors more bearable. Eat hearty Snow Birds!

DSC_0036

11 comments:

  1. These sure are chubby snow birds. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sweet close ups. Nice RED WHITE and BLUE too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaelyn, the snow has stopped and we have just finished shoveling 6" of snow again. Right now it is warming up but over night we plummet into an artic freeze!

    Birding is Fun, Gus and I thought we shovled our last snow 4 yrs ago in Utah. Boy were we deceived! I didn't realize I had a red, white and blue theme going on there. Thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shots Kathie and this is a great new set up for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice close up shots. Just think about how sweet Spring in New England is going to feel in comparison to this.-Each season makes you appreciate what the next has to offer. Did I sound convincing? Good, because I'm trying to convince myself at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! Since I've always lived in a warmer climate, it's amazing for me to see birds out in the snow like that. They must be so grateful for the birdfeeder full of seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy weekend birding! I am in my long johns and warm outerwear but will be picking the more protected trails. How different your winter is this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice shots. Thanks for the visit. I haven't been blogging much or leaving comments. I do stop by occasionally and see what you are up to. Keep up the work on the big January.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these shots!! The snow makes them look so beautiful (I actually like snow, but only until the end of Feb...when March hits please bring on the warmth!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog and helping me with that bird (Inca Dove). I just ret'd from an internet-free, weeklong camping trip where I figured out what it was, and when I went to that post to correctly i.d. the sweet thing, I found your lovely comment. I wish you had been with me to help me i.d. all the different wrens I saw!! I'm still working on it! Thanks again. Stay warm! ~karen

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.