Thursday, August 9, 2012

Malden Public Library Staircase

1. Malden public library-kab Malden Public Library 8-7-12

After visiting the First Baptist Church in Malden, Massachusetts to see the curved staircase built by my great-grandfather, Robert Paine Palmer my Mom, my sister and I all walked next door to the Malden Public Library to see the other staircase we had hear so much about.

2. church n library-kab To our great surprise, it was much easier to get to see the staircase in the church. We soon discovered that the spiral staircase was in an historic part of the building not accessible to the public. The library was very busy that day but the kind man at the information desk was able to get a few moments to show the staircase to us. While our visit there was brief at least we were able to get some photos and the library historical board was very interested in our information and family photos. The information librarian pointed out that if my great-grandfather was a Master Stairbuilder, then he probably built more than just these two staircases! What a thought. We were amazed that this never occurred to us! More research would be needed, of course, but it set our minds turning to thinking of how we could research this. We exchanged contact info and went on our way. Below are the few photos I was able to take in the brief time allotted.

3.historic library-kab Upper floor with spindles similar to the ones on the staircase

 

4. woodwork-kab Spindle detail

 

5. mom-kab Mom beams as she stands on the spiral staircase built by her grandfather.

 

6. post-kab 

 

7. spindles-kab 

8. stairs-kab 

9. Mom on curve-kab 

10. spiral-kab 

11. detail-kab 

12. spindles-kabBy talking to the librarian we were able to determine that this staircase was built before the one in the First Baptist Church next door since the interior of the church burnt down in 1915 and had to be rebuilt. The library was built in 1895.

13. Mom explains-kab Mom and Mary Grace stand looking at the house on Dow Avenue where her mother and grandparents use to live in Arlington Heights, MA.

14. Palmer house-kabThis is the last house that Robert Paine Palmer lived in at 64 Dow Ave in Arlington Heights, Massachusetts.

I am so glad I was able to see all of this before I move away.

15 comments:

  1. Your Great Grandfather was a master craftsman. So much detail on those stairs and love the curved rail. How fun to explore your family history. Your Mom is looking excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaelyn, I tend to like wood carving myself, so perhaps it is inherited? Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful design with that wood, truly a piece of art. I like those old buildings with that amazing woodwork inside. Plus researching family history is neat stuff. Enjoy your time with your family! Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, it has been a very busy week and I have had lots of fun with family. Now it's back to getting things ready for the big move and hopefully I can squeeze some birding in here and there!

      Delete
  3. Really spectacular woodwork. What a craftsman your great-grandfather was. It's wonderful that you could see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, I was so glad we were ablwe to do this before I moved away!

      Delete
  4. I wonder how many he did build.... Beautiful.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. pretty exciting to go and see what your great grandfather built...what an artist!! gorgeous!! the detail is amazing! you & your family must be so proud!! i also REALLY like the outside of the building...the brick and stone work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, there is such beautiful architecture in New England!

      Delete
  6. Magnificent stair case, to bad it is not in the open part of the library. Your Mum look really happy to have visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillian, Mom and I thought the same thing! This part of the library is so beautiful. I have no idea why they don't use it anymore. Probably doesn't meet some sort of building code!

      Delete
  7. How wonderful to see a piece of history that your family made! Beautiful staircase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it was fun to track all of this down and beautiful to see!

      Delete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.