Friday, August 17, 2012

Birding at Gilsland Farm in Falmouth, ME

1. Wild turkey-kab Wild Turkey at Gilsland Farm Audubon 8-7-12

I had my first ever visit to Gilsland Farm on August 7th when I took my Mom to visit her cousin in Falmouth, ME. After lunch and an ice cream cone we drove over to the Gilsland Farm Audubon Center. We arrived just before the visitor’s center closed and the first bird I saw was this wild turkey preening itself on the patio! We did a brief bit of shopping, then Mom and her cousin went home and left me here for an hour! While the visitors Center was closed, the grounds were still open until dusk. So, I took my bins and walked around the farmland, but I didn’t venture far since I knew I would get lost in my reverie and never get back in time! Still, in the short 1/2 mile walk I took around the main farm area I saw so many birds and added greatly to my Life List for Cumberland County, ME!

2. turkey-kab Wild Turkey

3. sign-kab 

4. groundhog-kab Ground Hog

5. Sculpture-kab Raven Sculpture

(This sculpture is so large you can walk right underneath it!)

6. heron-kab Great Blue Heron

 

7. crow-kab American Crow

Birds seen at Gilsland Farm 8-7-12

  1. Wild Turkey
  2. Great Blue Heron
  3. Mourning Dove
  4. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
  5. Red-bellied Woodpecker
  6. Downy Woodpecker
  7. Barn Swallow
  8. American Crow
  9. Black-capped chickadee
  10. Tufted Titmouse
  11. White-breasted Nuthatch
  12. American Redstart
  13. Cedar Waxwing
  14. Song Sparrow
  15. Northern Cardinal
  16. House Finch
  17. American Goldfinch

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice place. Really like the raven sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathie

    I love the first photo of the preening Turkey.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.