Monday, December 13, 2010

Steven’s Pond MWT

DSC_0012

Steven’s Pond, North Andover, MA 12-2-10

I found the pond the same day Gus and I discovered Lake Cochichewick. Steven’s Pond is to the west of the lake and separated by only a thin strip of land. The geese and ducks seem to love this quiet place. Perhaps it is because the swimming beach is off limits for the winter. Still, after discovering a parking area on the east side of the beach with access to hiking trails I was able to walk along the road and down the trail to get some decent shots. It’s always nice to discover a new place to bird!

DSC_0013 Birds on the beach 12-2-10

DSC_0020

The usual Canada Geese…

DSC_0025…and a bench to watch them from (if one were allowed inside the fence!)

DSC_0029Mute Swans (the first I’ve seen in years!)

DSC_0031Beauty…

DSC_0032 More Beauty, then…

DSC_0036…bottom’s up for…

My World Tuesday!

 

DSC_0041

Location: Steven's Pond
Observation date: 11/30/10
Notes: Discovered a place to park near the beach with access to hiking trails on Weir Hill.
Number of species: 10

Canada Goose 170
Mute Swan 8
Mallard 75
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) 2

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)

3 comments:

  1. Looks as if you've found another excellent birdy location Kathie especially while access is limited and the residents feel at home. What joy to catch up with a species that you haven't seen in a long time. Lovely shots of the elegant Swans. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd find many natural places to bird watch. The swans are enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw your pictures of the beautiful swans, Saint-Saëns' music came to mind immediately!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.