Friday, January 18, 2013

Salton Sea Beach

1. Salton sea beach-kab Salton Sea Beach 11-23-12

So, I followed the birds around the sea, off to the western shore,

2. brown pelican-kab Brown Pelican

where pelicans flew in a sky of blue,

3. pelicans-kab over peaks of rose with shadows deep,

 

4. egret-kab where Great Egrets watch the silent sea, still as a statue,

 

5. stilts-kab and black-necked stilts search the sand on long pink legs,

dressed in their black and white formal wear,

perfect in the evening light,

6. cormorants-kab and then the ribbons of cormorants flew, long, and low over the glassy sea,

 

7. cormorants-kab line, after line, after line…

 

7. seagull-kab with seagulls searching the wide blue sky,

 

8. gull-kab or standing sentinel on mounds of mud,

 

8. human-kab watching the humans trying to fly and having a private laugh at the sight!

 

9. plover-kab and as lavender shadows fell over the sand

a lone plover admired his reflection.

 

The Salton Sea Beach lies on the western shore of the sea just north of Salton City. It is its own little decrepit town but I hardly noticed as I stood on the shore watching the birds. And while I was watching birds, Gus stood watch over me. He did not feel as relaxed as I did, as people whipped by on their 4-wheelers, or shot paintball guns in the abandoned buildings across the street. But I was blissfully lost in the birds and the sunlight and the sea. Finally Gus said it was time to move on, so I got in the car and said Good-bye to the sea, little realizing this would be my last look at it. The next day we packed the car and headed for home, but not before one last stop to bird at a park in the town of Brawley.

Note: A lot has been going on this past week which I am not ready to talk about yet. Suffice it to say that it has kept me busy and emotionally exhausted. Chris Rohrer and I had a great time birding last Sunday and tomorrow we are headed out for yet another adventure. I hope that things will calm down this week and I will be able to do more writing. We had 5 days of brutal cold where even my hummingbird nectar froze! The cold snap finally broke yesterday and today I was able to wear sandals and Capri's again! I am so glad for the return of the warmth!

19 comments:

  1. You saw a lot of birds at the Sea. Hope you're OK. Have fun birding with Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaelyn, all is well. Had a great time with Chris.

      Delete
  2. Hope you are okay...I need to get down to the Salton Sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherly Ann, it is amazing. Just choose your spots wisely!

      Delete
  3. The Cormorant shots are brilliant Kathie, so unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy, it was fun to watch them skim the water in long lines like that!

      Delete
  4. I really liked the Cormorants too. ALso the plover reflection shot. Great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, you and I might have to take a road trip! Though not in summer when I hear it is very hot and stinky!

      Delete
  5. Some day I have to get to the Salton Sea but until then I can look at your great images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, you would be in heaven! Bring lots of sunblock!

      Delete
  6. Great outing, Kathie! Your report and photos from the Salton Sea is wonderful. My favorites are the Stilts and the cute Plover. Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh-I lover that Brown Pelican flight shot! that must be a great birding spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, needless to say, you would love this place!

      Delete
  8. Hi Kathie, it's been a while and I'm glad to be catching up today. Do hope things are okay and going out birding with a friend sounds like a wonderful tonic for the soul. I enjoyed this wonderful series of photos, as I always do of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, thank you! I am so glad you are catching up! I need to do that too!

      Delete
  9. Hi Kathie I hope things are going okay. I really enjoyed the line of flying Cormorants.

    All the best.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.