Monday, January 31, 2011

Salisbury Beach

DSC_0060 Juvenile Bald Eagle 1-22-11

On January 17th my new friend Merry Robin took me to Salisbury Beach State Reservation. Here on this windswept plain winter birding is all about winter raptors and winter seabirds. On the 17th I saw my first Rough-legged Hawk for Massachusetts and all of New England. Since it was a holiday and Merry did not have to work, she called me up and invited me to go out to breakfast with her. After breakfast she drove me to this nearby beach. I did not know Merry was going to take me here, so I did not have my camera, but I did have my bins! We spent about an hour here that day. I was so impressed with this place that I had Gus bring me back again on the following Saturday. Good thing he did. We barely arrived when this juvenile Bald Eagle flew up in front of us! I jumped from he car to get photos as it flew over the mouth of the river and landed on the beach near some crows before taking off again. We were parked near the boat launch and it was in this same area that I saw two other significant birds. Scroll down to see what we saw!

DSC_0068 

DSC_0070 

DSC_0072 

DSC_0073 

DSC_0074

DSC_0101

Red-throated loon-Winter Plumage 1-22-11

Life Bird # 391!

DSC_0122 The Hunt of a Northern Harrier 1-22-11

DSC_0123 

DSC_0124 

DSC_0125 

DSC_0126 

DSC_0127 

DSC_0128 

DSC_0130 

DSC_0131 

DSC_0132 

DSC_0134 

DSC_0138

While I watched and counted birds, Gus played with his camera, giving me some great shots for Skywatch Friday. Below you can see us in our winter plumage!

 DSC_0178 Gus in Winter Plumage 1-22-11 (photo by Kathiesbirds)

DSC_0032 Kathie in winter plumage (photo by Gusto!)

And that’s MY World Tuesday!

Birds seen at Salisbury Beach State Reservation:

  1. American Black Duck 1-17-11
  2. White-winged Scoter
  3. Black Scoter
  4. Red-breasted merganser
  5. Common Loon
  6. Horned Grebe
  7. Northern Harrier
  8. Red-tailed Hawk
  9. Rough-legged Hawk
  10. Ring-billed gull
  11. Herring gull
  12. Great Black-backed gull
  13. American Crow
  14. Northern Mockingbird
  15. Song Sparrow
  16. Common eider 1-22-11
  17. Long-tailed duck
  18. Bufflehead
  19. Red-throated Loon
  20. Bald Eagle

This is the total of birds seen by me at this location so far. Click on either link to see the rest of the world through the eyes of others! Enjoy My World Tuesday!

12 comments:

  1. Awesome shots of this guy. I wish I could find a chance to do something similar. Thanks for sharing! Here is my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did have a very sucessful day birding. Love the harrier in flight and the eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathie these in flight shots are spectacular!!! You are finding a lot of great birding places. Your plumage is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW so cold and sill shooting bird pictures welll done
    wonderful photos

    Have a nice week,
    Greetings, Bram

    Link to My Word Tuesday post!

    Seen on My World Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots - I really like birds of prey, but they can be a nightmare to ID!

    Spent some time on the weekend watching Wedge Tailed Eagles (in Australia!) which was a treat.

    I don’t think I'd have much use for your jackets down here!

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic shots, Kathie! I love watching the harriers on their hunt. Awesome shots of the juvenile eagle, they are always amazing. You are finding some great birding spots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots of the Northern Harrier Kathie.
    Oh! and the winter plumage.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always find the birds, wherever you are. Wonderful shots, Kathie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful raptor images. The juvie Bald Eagle and the Northern Harrier are wondeful - love the landscape too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Harrier photos but my favorite shot is the one of you in your winter plumage, you look very cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome photos Kathie!
    I adore both of your Winter Plumage:)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.