Monday, February 16, 2015

When the Cooper’s Hawk Came to Dine

1. hermit thrush in yard-kab Hermit Thrush in yard 1-25-15

I was so thrilled to have a Hermit Thrush in my yard this winter. It showed up on January 18 and I saw it every day until February 9th. That is when I looked out my kitchen window and saw a Cooper’s Hawk dining on a bird beneath the feeders.

2. cooper's hawk-kabI had hoped that maybe this was a Mourning Dove instead of the Hermit Thrush, but the size and shape of the bird suggested it was my thrush. It was late in the day and the light was low but I thought I saw the speckled breast contrasted against the snow. I didn’t dare open the back door because even though it made me sad to see the dead thrush, I know how hard it is for birds of prey to find food in winter. Even then they are successful only 10% of the time. Hawks are not seed eaters. They have to eat meat to survive. Nature deemed that it was the hawk’s time to dine and the thrush’s time to die.

3. wary-kab So, goodbye dear thrush, you made me smile.

Live well young hawk, as part of the web of Life.

4. good-bye sweet bird-kab Hermit Thrush in Winter

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kathie

    Sorry about your thrush, but as you said the hawk needed to eat as well.

    Regards
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy, yes. And it picked the best bird in the yard! Rats!

      Delete
  2. Well Katie that is nature. it was wonderful that he landed in your garden for thee great views of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I do love to observe nature...most of the time.

      Delete
  3. aaaaaw. cute little thrush. hungry hawk. life goes on....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, Thank you for your visit to my blog! I am glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.