Thursday, March 13, 2014

Notes from my Nest: At Home in Maine

1. 3-13-14 my desk
If I thought I was going to miss out on the cold temperatures and snow by taking a two week trip to Florida I was sadly mistaken. While it rained like crazy here yesterday, overnight the temperatures dropped and the rain turned to snow. I awoke this morning to cloudy skies, high winds and increasing snowfall. Currently it is 16 degrees outside, a drop from the 17f it was when I first got up! The world outside my windows is all white and gray with just the hint of  yellow on the brightly painted cape-style house down the hill from me looking towards the bay.
3-10-14 Mere Point Boat Launch in Winter-a I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I live this close to the ocean. Since my return to Maine I have walked over to the boat launch twice. Two nights ago I went in the evening at sunset to count birds. While I did not see much, I did find my FOTY (First of the Year) Surf Scoter.
3-11-14 Mere Point Bay As I was watching it float on a sea as still as glass suddenly it took off in frantic flight. As I scanned the water with my bins I spotted a pair of nostrils attached to a smooth pewter head. A seal of some sort had just popped up right where the scoter was paddling! Seals. I could have seals as daily mammals. That’s just crazy!
3-10-14 Empty feeders This is my first time logging onto the computer since moving here. My husband and son got it all connected and running for me while I was in Florida. I am going to attempt to offload my photos and get some posted before I get back to unpacking boxes. You will know if I am successful since you will soon see them posted here! Until then, enjoy these cell phone pictures!
3-13-14 I'm ready to bird and blog
I’m ready to bird and blog!

8 comments:

  1. Oh good! I'm glad you're going to be able to settle in again. You've had a pretty crazy schedule these past weeks! I like looking at snow in your pics. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, my life has changed so much and I am still adapting to it! Believe me, I am so trying to stay warm! (BTW, I am NOT getting any boxes unpacked doing this!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are home. Enjoy the settling in! Look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, living next to the water will be wonderful.. So many different birds to see. And the cute seals..What a shock though to go from warm Florida to snowy Maine.. I am hoping it warms up soon, spring is in the air.. Happy Birding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie... Well that was not such a great welcome, but as you know Maine is unpredictable!!
    Looks like you have a good spot for birding and seeing a few seals to!! : )
    Going to be a cold night so get some extra blankets unpacked!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks a great spot to live from your photos, and I'm looking forward to seeing your photos as the weather improves and you are able to get out and explore your new home area. Get the unpacking done before spring comes and you want to be out all the time!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Katie It can't have been easy going form hot to cold however the snow and the lake look gorgeous. When it warms up you will be out and about all the time. get the unpacking down now and then when spring comes, your off out into nature again.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.