Thursday, July 31, 2014

Morning Notes

1. Andover Porch-kab Flowers hanging from my Andover porch 7-16-2011

7-31-14 driveway flowerA soft gray mist rolls over the yard as I sit on my granite steps watching the dog. High in the tall spruce by the driveway three cedar waxwings are preening. I am watching a pair of hummingbirds alternately feeding from the feeder and the wildflowers growing along the edge of the yard. It is a peaceful morning, save for the sounds of construction coming from my neighbor’s house. I find as I sit here on this hard granite step that I am missing my porch from the apartment we rented in Andover over 3 years ago now.

2. my nest-kab Though it was small, it was MY perch, MY cozy nest, MY lookout on the world. I liked to sit and drink my tea and watch the birds. Having the roof over my head meant I could be out there even in the rain. Having a wall at my back helped keep me warm and out of the wind. It also provided me some measure of privacy and even a sense of safety. Living in Andover was a bit stressful at first, due to an obnoxious neighbor in the front upstairs apartment, but that little porch became me refuge as he did not go into the back yard. I positioned all my bird feeders where I could see them while sitting out there and I would spend hours in my plastic chair with my notebooks, binoculars and camera. While I love this little cottage we are renting, I think it could use a porch!

7-31-14 needs a porch

9 comments:

  1. I'm partial to porches. Your little porch in Andover looked like a cozy refuge from the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I agree. How long will you be there, any idea? Next spring, you could make a garden room, instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KaHolly, that's a good idea, but this in not my house. We are only renting! I will save those dreams for anohter place!

      Delete
  3. I love your little porch, I am sure you miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, there are several things I "hear" in this post:) Andover was great but the bullyfrog not so much. It's a whole different world now at Merepoint. Kinda like a quiet time in your life and it's okay. Tucson, Andover.....those were then but there you are on beautiful Merepoint. You have two Gray Foxes to keep you company. Your solitude from the busy social constant noise would be my paradise. It's not forever because I now believe you both have gypsy blood inside. Soooo there will be gray skies coming after the fall. In the meantime, I wonder if there is a social outlet for you where you could volunteer or work part time.....perhaps a new patch to survey? As for the patio, they are great but not much use in winter unless you smoke....which I'm glad you don't. I found that your glass table in the dining room was perfect for watching birds. Right now I'm in the dining room watching my birds out of the blasted heat! I can't wait for this summer to be done. Anyhow back to you. During the winter, I'd put more feeders in that area to observe Hoary Redpolls, Snow Buntings and Ptarmigans;) The other thing I'd suggest is perhaps a ramada or whatever they call them there with their fancy New England vocab....they sell them at Home Depot and will raise you off the ground. It would be fun for Chris to come and put that together for you so that you both can visit alone or with the grandkids. Think about all the hummingbird feeders you could hang! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Chris, I am enjoying this "stay at home time." I know it won't last for long. I do miss havng a porch, but you are right, come autuamn I will move all my feeders to the diningroom side where I can sit and watch them through those lovely windows! I did have feeders on the windows there but the squirrels got into them. Now that I hav emy new feeder pole with the squirrel baffle it will be easier to keep them off the feeder! Squirrels are too darn smart!

      Thanks for your encouraging words!

      Delete
  5. A porch is one of life's necessities :) Without one, I would feel lost. I understand why you miss it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.