Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Taking my Family to Fort Popham

DSC_0172 Mom and my niece, Leeloo 8-20-14

On August 19 my brother Stephen finally came to visit me in Maine, along with my Mom and his granddaughter and my niece, Leeloo. None of them had been to my new home yet and so after showing them around on the first day, I took them to visit Fort Popham State Historic Site in Phippsburg the next day. Since Mom needs to use her walker now it was an easy place to take them. The fort had a little of something for all of us, including water, history and birds! Here are a few pictures from that day.

DSC_0173 

 

DSC_0177 

 

DSC_0178 

 

DSC_0179 

 

DSC_0180 

 

DSC_0183 Common Tern

 

DSC_0189 

 

DSC_0191 Cormorants on the rock!

DSC_0198 Juvenile Cormorant in the water.

 

DSC_0200 

DSC_0203 

DSC_0204 

DSC_0205 Mom explores the fort.

DSC_0207 Stephen explores the fort.

(We were both thinking that our youngest brother would like this place!)

DSC_0208 Pigeons keeping watch

DSC_0209 

DSC_0213 This fish skeleton looked like a fossil to us!

 

DSC_0215 Herring Gull

I didn’t see a lot of birds here, but I did see a few, as well as a seal out in the water. Fort Popham is where the Kennebec flows out to the sea and so there is a mixture of fresh and salt water. It was a lovely afternoon and I was happy to share it with my family.

Fort Popham State Historic Site

DSC_0216

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Kathie. I really like your pictures and you look alot like your mom. Glad to see she was able to enjoy this place with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. And yes, I do look like my mother. I have tired to escape that fact all my life, especially as a teen, but now I just embrace it!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Roy! It's nice of you to notice. She is doing very well so far and we are all very thankful!

      Delete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.