Saturday, March 31, 2012

March Birding Highlights and Stats

1. RWBL NH -kab Red-winged Blackbird at the Geremonty Marsh in Salem, NH

We’ve had wild and unpredictable weather here in March with temperatures ranging from the low 20’s up to 80F! With the wild weather we have also seen the return of the blackbirds and vultures. I have spent much of this month counting birds right here in my own town with just a couple of trips elsewhere. I recently added Sacred Heart Park to my list of locations that I bird on a regular basis for eBird’s Site Survey. On March 30th I was counting birds there while Gus walked the dog and was thrilled to spot my First-for-Massachusetts Fox Sparrow down by the Shawsheen River near one of the backwater pools. It is species number 167 on my Massachusetts Life List. Here is how this month wrapped up for me:

March eBird Stats

 

Life

Year

Month

Species

423

84

54

Checklists

4151

425

118

States Birded

     

Massachusetts

167

75

39

Connecticut

136

42

30

Maine

109

29

24

New York

71

34

34

New Hampshire

62

22

22

 

2. BCCH NH-kab Black-capped Chickadee in Salem, NH 3-12-12

3. Killdeer CT-kab Killdeer in Colchester, CT 3-9-12

4. NOSH NY-kab Northern shoveler in NY 3-18-12

5. PIGR NY-kab Pied-billed Grebe in Central Park 3-18-12

Update: We just returned from a trip to Maine where I counted birds in that state for the first time in over a month. I saw 24 species today and added 1 new species to my Maine Life List when I saw an Eastern Bluebird down by the Sandy River in Norridgewock. Story and photos to follow.

Now I’m ready for some April birding! See you soon!

6. crocus in yard-kab Crocus in my yard 3-13-12

5 comments:

  1. I so love your bird photos and those crocus jumped off the page.

    Maybe when I become a more avid birder myself I'll go for the 300mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaelyn, glad you enjoyed the crocus. I used to miss seeing them when I lived in AZ. I know you will make the best choice for YOU in regards to the lens!

    Gillian, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathie your diligence with the checklists is truly impressive. If we were ever in a class together I'd have to try and mooch off of you for your notes : )

    I really like how your photos exude a New England feel. The overcast lighting and saturated colors shows these birds, many of which can be seen here in Arizona (as of course you're well aware, being an Arizonan too), in a noticeably different but equally natural and comfortable environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathie, you are getting around. It must have been fun to bird in all these states on your list. I loved your birds and photos. Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.