Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Birding in Mom’s Backyard

1. chip sparrow-kab Chipping Sparrow 7-10-12

When I was in Colchester last week I spent a lot of time out in my Mom’s backyard watching birds.

2. Mom's fountain-kabThe fountain that she has is just perfect for attracting birds. Birds love moving water but they also need it shallow enough for them to drink and bathe. many fountains are just too deep to do the birds much good, but this one is perfect and I would love to see if I can get one just like it if we ever settle down in one place for more than 2 to 3 years!

3. song sparrow-kab Song sparrow bathing 7-10-12

4. robin-kab American Robin Bathing 7-13-12

5. gray squirrel-kab Gray Squirrel at feeder (the little thief!)

Mom’s backyard is a virtual wildlife habitat in the middle of town. Not only do I see groundhogs and gray squirrels, but she has seen deer here as well as chipmunks and even a few skunks!

6. red squirrel-kab Red squirrel in Mom’s yard 7-13-12

However, neither she nor I have ever seen a red squirrel here until last Friday when Dawn Fine was with me! this little guy was jumping up and down off this old lawn chair. It would grab a seed from beneath the feeder, jump up on the chair, sit and nibble away, then jump back down again! I took several photos of it but this was the best I think.

7. Dawn n Mom-kab Dawn and Mom sitting at the backyard table 7-13-12

If all my photos look a bit off it’s because I accidently changed my camera settings to +7 exposure compensation and did not notice until I offloaded the photos! I took over 250 shots and threw out over 100! While I did notice something was a bit off in the picture preview window, I kept trying to fix it by changing the ISO and the white-balance! I had not idea I had changed the exposure compensation but that’s probably what I get for trying to change settings without my glasses on! Oh well, live and learn. It actually worked out well for that first shot of the sparrow! More photos and stories from my visit in Colchester and birding with Dawn Fine to come! As for Mom, she is doing very well but is a bit sorry to know that I will be moving away once again, though, she is happy for Gus and I.

22 comments:

  1. :) it was so nice to meet your Mom and brother. Love that fountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I was so glad that you were able to meet them!

      Delete
  2. What a great fountain. I think you could have one in AZ.

    From the time I got my new camera the exposure compensation was set on 3 and I wondered why all my photos were so dark. Better now that it's at 0.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These new camreas can do so much but sometimes getting to know and understand all the menus and settings can be a bit frustrating!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I feel I am there. Nice post. Love the Am. Robin image and the bird itself. :) Thanks for sharing it.

    Best, Szimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful little friends that enjoyed your photo shoot! As did I! Beautiful yard~ do hope your new home has a perfect spot for one of your own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, thank you so much. It might take me awhile to find a new "nest" but when I do I hope to put in a fountain like Mom's!

      Delete
  5. Lovely shots of your Mom's yard birds. I love the cute chipping sparrow. It must have been fun to go birding with Dawn. Great shots, Kathie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, Mom's yard has produced some good bird lists for me. And, I always enjoy spending time with Dawn!

      Delete
  6. HI Katie...I can't hear about camera issues right now lol..I have burnt a hole in my user book ..good grief what are all these thing on there for, I do a lot of trial and error!!: }
    Your photos look great though,I especially like the first one..and the Robin in the bath!! I love that fountain, it gave me some ideas!!
    So your moving..hope that goes well!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I hope you left enough of that book to read! I'm glad Mom's fountain gave you some ideas. Water will attract more birds than seeds sometimes.

      Delete
  7. What a delightful place to visit, Kathie!! Your mom is very lucky to have all that wildlife around her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KaHolly, it is! I love Mom's backyard in the summertime!

      Delete
  8. Hi there - thanks for the visit and the comments relating to WBW (II).

    I like squirrels - but then again I don’t have a bird feeder (or squirrels!)

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stewert, I like squirrels too, most of the time. They are cute and entertaining. Do they even have squirrels in Australia?

      Delete
  9. These are great pictures, that is a wonderful fountain and I'm not surprised that the birds love it. That little red squirrel is a beauty too. Good to know that your Mum is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillian, love the fountan too. The red squirrel was quite the surprise. I am so glad that my Mom is doing well, especially since I am moving away.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed all the photos! Cute, but pesky, squirrel! The fountain looks cool and soothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, that fountain is very soothing. I have been guilty of putting my feet up in another chair and falling asleep!

      Delete
  11. HI Kathie

    A very nice post and that is a lovely fountain that your mother has. Birds always enjoy water so much it is fun too see.

    Regards
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy, water is a great attractor for birds as you well know!

      Delete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.