Sunday, July 8, 2012

Finally Some Birds!

1. Norridgewock bridge-kab Bridge over the Kennebec River in Norridgewock, ME July 6, 2012

I’ve been a bit cranky lately because I have been so busy that I haven’t really had time to go out on a birding adventure. While I have been keeping up my bird counts in my yard, at the bog and at Sacred Heart Park I was wanting some time alone to watch birds in a new place with new birds. Don’t get me wrong, I love my yard birds, but I really needed to see something NEW! However, on Friday we were headed for Norridgewock once again to spend time with the family and celebrate the 4th of July with them. So I did not expect to see many birds since I figured I would be spending the whole time at my in-laws house and, without any bird feeders there it would be slim pickin’s! On our way to their house Gus pulled into the gas station near the new Norridgewock bridge. While he was pumping gas, I got out to photograph it, and scan the sky, incase I saw or heard any birds.

2. Norridgewock library-kabThis little library is a quaint little building that sits right next to the bridge. I remember my mother-in-law going here to check out books when I was a newlywed 35 years ago before their was internet and satellite TV. Believe it or not, I think they still use this building though it can’t hold many books. Around me I could hear birds twittering in the trees and chimney swifts flying overhead. I saw a couple of pigeons flyover and as I followed them with my eyes suddenly I saw this!

DSC_0074 At first glance I though maybe it was a seagull and, as I had never seen a seagull here on the Kennebec, I was mildly excited. But when I looked closer with my binoculars it became quite apparent that this was no seagull!

3. Osprey-kab It was an osprey!

4. osprey-kab I had never seen an osprey here in Norridgewock before! I was so excited!

5. osprey-kab Isn’t it a beauty!

But this was not the end of my birding adventure. Little did I know, it was only the beginning! There are more birds coming tomorrow! So please come back! It was a very birdy day!

12 comments:

  1. That's a great building for a library Kathie, normally they are dull old places that just don't look inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy, it s rather quaint. I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Hmm, you'll have to forgive my skepticism Kathie, but I have a hard time believing you were ever grumpy...

    Neat shots of the Osprey, looks like he circled around nicely for ya, wanting to show off his plumage.

    See ya tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurence, I get a bit restless and frustrated when I can't get out to go birding, but I am feeling MUCH better now!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait! You are in my old stomping grounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KaHolly, really? I am so glad to take you back there with me then! Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Adorable library.

    Nice shots of the osprey. Haven't seen one years. Was the first sign of spring when I lived in Washington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaelyn, Washington? Wow! What a contrast to now be living in the desert!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic! I love this beautiful bird and you captured him so wonderfully! I know it was a treat to get to see him. Love that little red library too....so quaint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, Maine is full of cute little surprises, like this building; and wonderful wild surprises, like the osprey!

      Delete
  6. what a cute little red library!
    your osprey pictures are great!! what a surprise in the sky! you're so good at getting those 'in the sky pictures'...i have a hard time tracking birds in flight!! awesome shots!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, seeing that library always makes me smile. We pass it every time we go to visit Gus' folks. In the sky pictures are a bit tricky but when it works, it's fabulous! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.