Thursday, July 19, 2012

Reflecting on Lion’s Pond

1. Lion's Pond-kab Lion’s Pond in Colchester, CT 7-11-2012

Almost every time I come to Colchester I stop and visit Lion’s Pond. It is a cute little pond on Halls Hill Road across from the elementary school. When I was a child and a teenager we ice-skated here. My Mother tells me that my grandfather was instrumental is getting it established as a public skating and fishing pond. I like it now because it is a quick, easy and peaceful place to stop in and watch birds.

2. benches-kab There are cute and colorful benches to sit on…

3. picnic tables-kab …and picnic tables for eating your breakfast, lunch or even supper!

4. picnic tables-kab Of course, you can just bring a cup of coffee and sit by the woods…

5. bog area-kab …and watch birds fly in and out of the swamp!

6. bog-kab It looks so lush and green at this time of year.

7. nuthatch-kabThis white-breasted nuthatch is the only bird that got close enough for a photo this time around, but I have seen over 40 species of birds here so far, including flycatchers, warblers, herons and sandpipers!

8. reflection-kab So, if you are in town, stop by for your own moment of reflection!

I think you will be glad that you did. And if you see any birds, please count them and submit that count to eBird since I will be moving far away again and will only be able to count birds here when I come back for a visit! I nominated it as an eBird Hotspot, so if you do Bird Log it is quite easy to upload your bird list from here.

Birds seen at Lion’s Pond during the week of July 9 through July 13, 2012:

    1. Great Blue heron
    2. Mourning Dove
    3. Chimney Swift
    4. Belted Kingfisher
    5. Eastern Kingbird
    6. American Crow
    7. Tree Swallow
    8. Barn Swallow
    9. White-breasted Nuthatch
    10. Veery
    11. American Robin
    12. Gray Catbird
    13. European Starling
    14. Chipping Sparrow
    15. Northern Cardinal
    16. Red-winged Blackbird
    17. Common Grackle
    18. American Goldfinch

9. smokey water-kab The pond is quite full this year but when I moved back here two years ago there had been a drought and the water was so low that this area was all mud. However, this is where I saw a solitary sandpiper in 2010!

8 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful place, birding or not. And I'm betting you'll be back there before you leave for AZ. Then you'll be adding to the AZ bird count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaelyn, I will be back here as many times as I can so I can contribute as much data to eBird for this location as possible.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathie

    You got some nice photos and it looks like a lovely spot.

    Regards
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy, it's small but quaint and easily accessible!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a very peaceful spot, beautiful greens. Great Nuthatch too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathie,
    sorry I have been absent for so long. My health has suffered quite severely from all the antics that Peter gets up to and his condition has quite rapidly deteriorated so that it puts an extra physical strain on my heart. I have barely managed to put up an occasional short post and am usually too tired to enjoy reading what others have to say or write comments. Today has been a little better, at least we had some sunshine.
    Aren't I a selfish cow to be glad that you are moving back to Arizona? I love the desert country and have missed your posts from there. I hope you are glad that you can go back. Do you still have your house there? I pray for your mom and her friend Alexis every night. I do hope they are responding to treatment.
    Love and hugs . . . Arija

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Arija, I am so sad to hear that things are so difficult for you right now! How selfish of me to want your attention! I hope that things improve swiftly and that you can find the strength you need to carry on. Mom and Alexis are doing very well and it is so sweet of you to pray for them. It is much appreciated. You are in my thoughts and prayers as well. Take good care of your heart!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.