Friday, July 20, 2012

Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

1. Rubythroats-kab Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at my sister’s house 7-10-12

While my sister is not a bird fanatic like I am, she does love her hummingbirds and she feeds them religiously every summer. She lives out in the woods of Connecticut and her feeders are so active that she often has to refill them several times a day. These are just some of the birds I saw buzzing around when I was there last week.

2. blur-kab While they are often a blur…

3. hummers-kab I was able to get a few that stopped long enough to feed!

4. feeding-kab 

5. rubythroats-kab 

6. RTHU-kab 

7. RUTH colcester-kab 

8. RUTH-kab While most of the 10 –12 Ruby-throats I saw were females or immatures, there were a two males that I saw at the same time. And while all these birds were down at the feeders, there were more up in the pines and sitting on the utility lines overhead. What fun they were to watch!

9. Colchester, CT-kab

Please come back tomorrow to see more birds!

12 comments:

  1. What fun!!! I don't have so many, but I covet those that return each year. Had one casualty this summer and it broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KaHolly, I do not get many where I live either so it is so much fun for me to see them at my sister's house!

      Delete
  2. Saw broad-tailed hummers at my new feeder today. Which I better go fill again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaelyn, are broad-tailed the only ones you get? We only get rubythroats in the northeast but I would get at least 3 or 4 species when I lived in AZ before. All hummingbirds are such a delight! I can't wait to see my AZ hummers agsain!

      Delete
  3. Dainty little sweeties. Y'all in the east only get the one kind, but it's a pretty good one : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but soon I will be seeing a wide variety once again!

      Delete
  4. Wow..those are some busy feeders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathie

    Nice shots we have feeders at the farm but I cannot capture much detail.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Gillian, the pictures are not as good as I wanted. My settings on my camera were off but I didn't realize it until I off-loaded the photos. Still, I love seeing them!

      Delete

Welcome to my nest! I hope you will enjoy spending time here with me and the birds. Thank you for your comments. I will try to get back to you as soon as I get back from counting more birds.